June 26 – June 30, 2017
University Preparation Charter School
550 Temple Ave
Camarillo, CA 93010
Calling All K-8 Teachers!
You are invited to attend a FREE California State University sponsored 4 1/2 day Summer STEM Institute hosted by CSU Channel Islands in conjunction with University Preparation Charter School…
Registration is now open for STEMposium 2017! For the 3rd year, we will be presenting a NEW FORMAT that allows teachers to collaboratively produce their own 5E unit, attend short courses on NGSS hot topics, and focus on getting kids to figure out phenomena on their own through asking questions. This FREE 4 1/2 day institute runs from June 26-30.
The goal of the program is to support teachers in successfully implementing the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) and in integrating science and engineering instruction with math, language arts, and technology. During the Summer Institute, teachers will:
- Work collaboratively with grade-level peers to practice NGSS pedagogy and to develop engaging, hands-on STEM lessons that they can then take back to their schools and use in their classrooms.
- Deepen their knowledge of the NGSS and how to incorporate 3-dimensional lessons into their weekly instruction.
- Attend 5E workshops in the mornings with other participants in the same grade level band (K-1, 2-3, 4-5, 6-8) where teacher leaders will model 5E lessons and coach teacher participants in making their own 5E lessons.
- Attend short courses in the afternoon to deepen their knowledge in a variety of current NGSS hot topics.
- Become inspired by and meet new colleagues who they can network and troubleshoot with during the school year.
- conclude the week by participating in the Student STEM Day for local students completing grades K-8 where they will get a chance to teach some of the STEM activities they learned during the institute. Participants may bring their own children too!
- Participate in two Saturday half-day follow-up sessions during the 2017-18 school year.